Science online, on mobile, en-masse.
What can Xperiment do?
- Creation/running of behavioural online science.
- In bulk testing via mechanical turk.
- Same experiment runs on the computer, on the pad (iPad or Android), on the iPod touch and the phone (iPhone and Android).
- Results paste straight into excel.
- Scientific and technical support available while creating studies.
- Recruitment of participants who have demonstrated to be reliable.
Why do research on the pad/phone/iPod touch?
- Easy to carry – bring your research to the participant while he/she is in a natural situation.
- Independent of lab space – no separate computer/monitor setups necessary anymore. A table and chair is the most you’ll need.
- The iPod touch is a very economical way to do research outside of the laboratory, and ultraportable.
- The pads offer similar screen sizes to laptops, enabling you to do research that would normally require a big computer.
- Pads and the iPod touch are intuitive to use – especially for people not used to computers, such as children and the elderly.
- Can be used while standing when in a hurry or space is minimal – for example, in front of a shelf, or in the kitchen.
- Paper questionnaires and other hard copies are easily left at home – but most people will always make sure they have their phone on them, especially students.
- Data is stored in many locations for safety and security – on the device itself, sent as an email, uploaded to an online database.
- People are very familiar with their phones – doing a task on their own phone enables them to do it in a comfortable and efficient way.
Why do science online, in bulk?
- cost effective. Valid. Reliable. Discussed here.
What is the difference between Xperiment and other social science testing software?
- Hardware independent: runs on pads, phones, iPod touch and the computer – no other software offers this variety.
- Xperiment does not need to be online while the test is done.
- Xperiment has the possibility to interface with outside sensors, such as heart rate or weighting scales.
- Arduino support
- Xbox Kinect support
- Scientific and technological support offered.
What are the next steps in the development of Xperiment?
- The graphical user interface (GUI) is under development.
- More outside sensors!